September 16, 2008

Teaching a Child to Ride a Bike

There is a hard way, which I have done with 2 boys so far, and apparently there is an easy way (I'll tell you about that in a minute)!

My experience as a trainer, well, there isn't much experience really. I just remember how my parents did it and now I have tried to break my back- er... show my kids the same way.

So, what I do is run along behind them as they peddle and balance ( or try to!). This, for anyone who has ever tried it, is HORRIBLE! It throws your back out of whack, and the kids are just plain frustrated! FUN TIMES FOR ALL!

So, here's the easy way... and if I could get my hubby to help me with this tonight, Caden may be learning how to ride his bike real quick! Here is where I found it. Here is what a person had written in and suggested:

Take training wheels and the peddles off the bike. Lower seat all the way. Put child on bike making sure feet touch the ground. Let child move bike with feet on ground to catch himself. Get balanced, let child feel balanced, ride bike with feet off of ground and get balanced. Do this for as long as it take to get the balance. Put peddles back on bike. Child should be riding within minutes.

I'm so gonna try this! I'll let you know how it works!

1 comment:

SmilingsMyFavorite said...

goodness gracious where have I been? you were a blogging machine!! I have a little surprise for you on my blog coming up soon. Nothing big just funny. But I've been swamped lately and haven't had time to blog.
Glad your hubby's back to help you out.
P.S. will the bike riding thing work for 2 year olds? ha ha. :)