February 8, 2010

Chickens, Chickens, Chickens...

I am going to have chickens on the brain this week... First, we need to move our sweet little Mille Fleur babies to the barn. They have been in our basement since they were born. And now they are 2 monthes old, we need to make room for NEW babies...



We have gradually decreased the temp in their box, it has been in the 60's which is a FAR cry from the current 8 degrees outside, but I think I will leave them in the box with a heat lamp in the barn... At least for a little while.

I don't want to get TOO excited about these, but I HAVE been incubating a NEW round of eggs. Remember the cooking of the last eggs? Well, now we have a new set of 18 eggs...


Well, we have tried to keep the "cooker" away from the eggs... A LOCK! GENIUS!


They SHOULD be hatching in about a week, maybe Saturday or Sunday... These will be Rhode Island Red and Rhode Island Red/ Barred Rock. So, some good egg layers! I hope we have some that hatch!!!

AND FRIDAY, we are supposed to be getting our 30 broilers!!! Hubby asked where we are going to put them... good question.

CHICKENS, CHICKENS, CHICKENS!!!

***Tomorrow and Wednesday we are supposed to get slammed by snow storms. I was hoping to get out to the grocery today, but I have a sick boy at home. (I think he had to much "spicy" last night at the super bowl party...). We will see if the weatherman is ACTUALLY right this time, and pray that our little baby broilers make it through the mail OK!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your chickens are so cute - they look like they chubby cheeks! I have never been a fan of chickens - seemed to messing I guess but your post are making me start to warm up to them a bit;-) It is so sunny out today - the calm before the storm I think. Hope your new little birdies get to you safe!