August 26, 2010

A Day...

I love harvest season, I love seeing the fallen leaves on the ground, I love hearing them crunch under my feet, I love seeing shelves full of canned (or frozen) harvest, awaiting the long COLD Winter...

This time of year (in Indiana) when it can be anywhere from a cooler 72 to a hot 90 during the day, and a VERY cool 49 to 60... It feels like FALL. Even though MOST of the leaves haven't changed yet. Our walnut trees are the only ones who leaves are starting to jump ship.

What have I been doing? Well, you saw my pictures from last weekend, and the harvest. I have been trying to get the tomatoes off the vines before they are annihilated by bugs. Not really sure about the tomatoes that I grew this year, they had vine rot, bugs and I know they are heirloom, and I can DEAL with those things, BUT the taste of them were a little different as well... SO not really sure I will try to grow them again...

So despite the little different taste, I am still processing some tomatoes. Hopefully IN things the tomato sauce and juice won't be so different. I made homemade pizza sauce last weekend and I could taste the sauce but it tasted good! So- fingers crossed! :)


As Fall draws closer, I also know the fate of "Turkey"... She has been a sweet gal, but I have known since I bought her and 7 others (who didn't make it due to meeting a stray cat...) that they were going to be food. It's just difficult, because with ONE turkey, she has become almost a pet. She follows me around, she talks to me, she sees me (or hears me) from afar and she runs to me...


She KNOWS I like her better than the hoard of chickens we have... Darn it. But this is the life we have chosen, and this is and always was her destiny...

I like to walk around the garden and check out what is growing, and just soak in all of the beautiful things God has done there. Check out this little guy I found in there:



Just look at those EYES:


It's amazing to sit and be able to look at a creature like this. God made all of those little parts, and when I brought the camera closer to it, it actually turned it's head to look at me. It studied ME... Simply amazing.

So, peanut butter cookies are made for 3 little boys as they come home from school... and I need to finish with some tomatoes and then make dinner.... I hope you all have had a WONDERFUL day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Our first "homegrown" turkey met it's demise last weekend. I'll never be a vegetarian but I did consider the possibility for days afterward..... Neighbors tell me I'll get used to it. Let's hope so.--Serenity--