I LOVE it. I find HUGE satisfaction in pulling a bunch of ingredients from the cupboard, mixing them together, baking them, and seeing my family DROOL over them. Well, not OVER them.
I also love trying to keep healthy ingredients on hand to make up these recipes.
The key with healthy, I think, is to start small. Start with one ingredient here, one there. I am not all "healthi-fied" (?), but I am slowly also making MY way there. Here are a few GREAT recipes for you to try out. These are family FAVORITES. Some are new, some I have posted before. And most are on the "SUPER EASY" list!
So, get your recipe cards and get to work! :)
- Baked Oatmeal - This is SO good. I don't like homemade oatmeal- AT ALL. But this is definitely one of my favorites. Can be make with blueberries or other fruits that you have picked and frozen during the summer! Yum!
- Grandmother Bread - I have tried MANY recipes for bread in the last year, because, well, I am in love with bread! So I was trying to find the perfect bread to make sandwiches with, and to serve as a side to a meal (hungry boys can get a little more filled up with bread!). This bread, in my opinion, is perfect! It can be cut thin for sandwiches, and can be cut thicker for a yummy side to a great home-cooked meal. Check out the varieties of this bread! Another favorite of ours (and it LOOKS pretty too...) is the Cornmeal Bread. YUM!
- Granola/ Granola Bars. (pictured above) I could eat these all day long! They are both the same recipe, with the addition of an egg for the bars. These are healthy, but they taste great! I have also tried many "healthy" granola recipes, and this one blows all of the others out of the water!!! My boys BEG for them as soon as I pull them from the oven.
- Homemade Potato Chips. This recipe was a trial and error that I came up with on my own. We LOVE potato chips but we don't like all of the extra junk that comes in those foil bags. This is SUPER easy, and another favorite. I am actually going to be trying this recipe with Sweet Potatoes! Should be yummy!
- Homemade Tortilla Shells. 5 ingredients. Super Easy. YUMMY & filling! Filling is a good thing around here. Feeding 4 hungry boys, it is hard to find anything that FILLS their bellies, in a good way! This is a recipe that I tweaked from a few other recipes, and it worked wonderfully!
- The Best Chocolate Cake EVER! Yes, it's true. I am a chocolate lover, and THIS is a wonderful cake. it is a sheet cake that is so tasty, you want to slowly savor each bite. My boy #3 asked for this cake for the last 2 year's birthday cakes. I could EASY make a food group out of this... :)
- Homemade Play-Dough- Not all recipes have to be food recipes! This is a recipe we do often, and the boys can help! They also LOVE playing with Play-dough, taking the cookie cutters and having at it! This smells great, lasts a long time and is pretty cheap to make. I recently found the cream of tartar (the most expensive ingredient) at Aldi's for $1 for a pretty nice sized bottle! We should be good for a while!
I hope you enjoy these recipes as much as we have! These are just a few of our favorite things! :)
Also shared on www.LifeAsMom.com, Where readers are sharing their healthier recipes!