February 22, 2010

Homemade Yellow Cake Mix


In my quest recently for dry mixes, I found a Yellow Cake Mix Recipe! It's easy, which I am a BIG fan of! And it includes everything I actually have on hand... Then it can be stored for months, waiting to make you look good when you whip up a HOMEMADE cake....

Here it is:

HOMEMADE YELLOW CAKE MIX

3 C. Flour
2 C. Sugar (or you can replace with honey, if you add the honey when you actually MAKE the cake. DO NOT add honey to your dry recipe. I cannot guarantee your recipe will have a shelf life on it.)
1 Tbsp. Baking Powder
1/2 C. Non-Fat Dry Milk

Combine and store on airtight container. (Enough for one cake mix)

Cake Mix Directions:
1 Recipe Cake Mix
1 1/4 C. Water (If using Honey, use only about 1/2 C. water)
1 1/2 tsp. Vanilla
1/2 C. Butter, softened
3 Eggs
(If you are substituting Honey for sugar, add the honey at this point. Add a little under 2 C. honey)

Place mix in a bowl. Add water, vanilla, butter & eggs (& honey?). Combine with mixer, then beat 2 more minute. Pour into grease & floured cake pan. Bake at 350 degrees.

8" or 9" cake rounds - 25-30 min.
13 x 9" pan- 40-45 min.
Cupcakes - 15-20 min.
Tube/ Bundt pan- 45-50 min.

**If you are baking with honey, make sure you take the temp down about 25 degrees. Honey browns more quickly then sugar does. Thanks Megan!!! :)

In the end, sprinkle the warm cake with a bit of powdered sugar, or with fresh fruit of some sort (strawberries sound DELIGHTFUL. I may pull some from our freezer....). Both sound wonderful...

I am making this as part of "From Scratch", our new link-up segment where we share what we have made from scratch this week!

8 comments:

Megan said...

Hi Sarah, Have you tried this recipe with honey?? If not I was reading that you also have to reduce another liquid, like the water by 1/4 cup since honey is liquid.

Also reduce oven temp by 25 degrees. I read that here
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/459706/how_to_substitute_honey_for_sugar_in_pg2.html?cat=51

Haven't tried substituting honey yet in a cake or cookie recipe! I might today!!

Have a great day and thanks for the yellow cake mix recipe! I told myself I wasn't buying boxed cake mixes anymore!!

Sarah said...

Thanks Megan. I will check that out. With baking my bread I have never changed anything... but that is not to say it wouldn't make it better! I will try it with this recipe. I was set back a bit this morning with several phone calls, so I am going to try it now!

And yes, if I don't have to buy cake mixes any more, that would be awesome. There are SO many things in those mixes that we just know know what they are!

Megan said...

Sarah, With bread you really don't need to do anything different because the honey is such a small amount. But apparently cookies, cakes, and sweet stuff is a little different since they take a lot more sugar/honey!!

I'm going to try today too!

shelley said...

hi sarah,
that cake looks simply devine!!! i love to cook and "eat" good food lol thus the need for my "wellness makeover!" stop by and check it out, i'm working with a nutritionist and a trainer for the month and ABC is following the story... i hope to hopefully inspire a few of my bloggy buddies! stay well. :)
shelley

Debbie said...

thanks for this recipe. Just this month I started making dry bread and muffin mixes and am loving them when it is close to meal time. It is so easy! This is just what I needed.

Sarah @ Mum In Bloom said...

Oh thank you for sharing this! I'm compiling a list of made from scratch recipes and this one is a perfect addition. Thanks for the inspiration :)

Stacy said...

My husband recently found out that he is allergic to yellow dye #5 so there goes boxed yellow cake mix. I bought an organic cake mix from the health food store a few weeks ago but I know that isn't really very cost effective. Thanks for this great alternative.

The Kelley Family said...

Love the idea for the yellow cake mix! Can't wait to give it a try!!