March 3, 2010

On the Farm... We Are Above Freezing!

Yes, we are! We are at a WHOPPING 37 degrees at this moment. The weatherman has a crazy guess that we will be in the 40's by the weekend... Their "Guesstimations" are usually about 25% right in these parts... Being within a hundred or so miles from Lake Michigan, we have "Lake Effect" weather, which messes everyone up... So, I suppose we shall see!

This morning when I went to do chores, I saw this little guy walking across our pond...


It is a male pheasant. He ended up running across the road, I heard cars coming and hoped he wouldn't get hit. He was OK as of leaving for the grocery store this morning. I actually saw him hanging out across the road...

Speaking of cute little birds... Mickie & Minnie are super cute! We still have their 3 "babies", and I could actually hatch more. Minnie gives us about 2-4 eggs each week. They are sweet things that love to hang out in the barn, scratching around in the hay for a seed or grain morsel that the others left behind...

I told you on Monday I would post a pic of our Black Broilers. So here they are 3 weeks today:

Some of them are getting combs on them, and they are definitely getting bigger!

And last, but not least, our 2 Jacob girls. We have now increased their grain, because Lindsay should be having us a lamb or 2, in about 4-6 weeks. She is definitely getting big. I don't know if most of that is the massive amounts of wool that she has. Myst has always been tiny, and I look for her to have a baby (if any) at the end of June. I don't think she was "gotten" by our male when they were together in the fall. But we put them together for about 3 weeks, about a month ago. If she doesn't lamb this year, it's OK. She is still pretty little. So the increased grain for Lindsay, will definitely not hurt Myst!


We now have another bee hive to put together. Hubby decided to get another one. So, I am ordering the bees this week, and I have already bought a MASSIVE bag of sugar to feed them when they come in a month or so....

Oh man, Spring is just around the corner. Proof is in the Bluebird I saw 2 days ago... YAY! It cannot come fast enough!!!

No comments: