March 4, 2010

From Scratch...


Is it Thursday again? My goodness how this week has flown by! I think it is because I am keeping plenty busy. I did a little more errand running this week then I normally do (my sister is moving CLOSE! YAY!). And plus for "Spring Cleaning", we are busy doing work in our entry way... LOTS of work!

Anyways, I will give you a rundown of some things that I made from scratch this week! Then some goals: that I have for next week!

Friday, we had company over, and I was "Homemade" allover the place... I didn't tell our guests, but we had homemade pizza crust, homemade bread sticks (made from the pizza crust), homemade lemonade (mmm!) and my yellow cake (from the dry mix)! Best thing was, my guests never knew it was all homemade. The NEXT best thing, was that it DIDN'T take all day to prepare the meal! Which, in MY book, is super awesome... :)

Saturday night, we had a meal at the church, and I made one of my favorites... cut-up, baked potatoes! Easy-peasy! I have been ONLY buying organic potatoes lately, so I feel good about leaving the skins on, and getting the nutrients out of it. So all I did was cut up potatoes, tossed them in olive oil, added some sea salt, and baked them. I also, through out the baking time, turn them so they don't all stick together. But, Yum! Easy, and good for you!

Sunday, we were able to have a roast from the deer that hubby shot in the Fall. We added organic carrots and organic potatoes to the pot. And on the side, Grandmother bread and homemade strawberry jelly!

Monday, was a "leftovers" day. It is always economical to eat anything like leftovers. If need be, make a day for "leftovers". Basically you have a free meal!

Tuesday, was simple pasta with cheese bread (made from Grandmother bread!).

Wednesday, we had Scalloped potatoes. This recipe is super easy, and I will post it on here soon. But I would LOVE to find how to make country gravy without a packet. Dry would be great, then I could make up a bunch and then store it for when it is needed... Hubby especially loves this one!

In addition to the meals, I made grandmother bread (as you can see it has MANY uses in my household!) and granola bars. Like I said I have a few things I would like to try in this next week, and also some cleaners I want to try out! I actually JUST bought a mop (so I FINALLY don't have to get down on my hands and knees to clean my kitchen floor! YAY!), so I want to try a few homemade cleaners for wood floors.

I actually felt really good about my meals this week. I was glad I made most of it from scratch, but still have work to do on some of the additives (like the country gravy...). But, I am on my way!

How about YOU? Were you able to make things from scratch this week? Did you try anything new? Care to share the recipe? :)

If you have a blog, you can post a link to the BLOG ENTRY about baking from scratch. You can also copy the image above and use it. I DO ask, that you kindly mention on your blog what we are doing over here, so others may participate when they see what YOU are posting!

If you DON'T have a blog, please share in the comments what you did this week, and any recipes!

I would LOVE to see what you all have done this week! It also gives me an opportunity to visit YOUR blogs! I LOVE IT!

Also, if you would like reminders on what we are doing here via Facebook, I have a new fan page for Facebook! Look to the right of the screen, and become a fan! Or click HERE!

So, go on now, LINK UP! :)

3 comments:

Jon G. said...

Stole this one from the food network :) Chocolate Lava Muffins (served hot)

Ingredients
8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
1 stick butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup sugar
4 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
Butter, to coat muffin tin
2 tablespoons cocoa powder

Directions
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Melt the chocolate and butter slowly in a saucepan over low heat, you'll need to stir constantly. Stir in vanilla.

In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, flour and salt. Sift these into the chocolate and mix well with electric hand mixer. Add eggs one at time, fully incorporating each egg before adding the next. Beat at high until batter is creamy and lightens in color, approximately 4 minutes. Chill mixture.

Coat the top and each cup of the muffin tin with butter. Dust with the cocoa powder and shake out excess. Spoon mixture into pan using an ice cream scoop. Bake for 11 minutes (mine took about 15). Outsides should be cake-like and centers should be gooey.

The original recipe called for a sauce made from melted vanilla ice cream and espresso powder, but we never got past a scoop of ice cream :)

Mominin said...

Sarah - when I make country gravy I just melt some butter (usually around a stick) add equal amount of flour and stir it for a few minutes. Then slowly add milk. Continue cooking it and it will thicken up as it cooks. Stir frequently so it doesn't burn. Add whatever seasoning you want - or meats. I don't use measurements very often when I cook, so I can't give you exact amounts. Hope it helps!

Bláithín said...

Ah, you put me to shame, Sarah! One of these days I'll get all caught up and start posting on my blog again :-) In the meantime, I hope I can figure out how to do the linky thing!! :-)