January 22, 2010

Is This The Life I Wanted?

No. No it isn't.

If you would have asked me as a child, if I wanted to have a farm where poop on my boots was "all the rage" and a constant thing, I would have said, "I don't think so!". If you would have asked me while I was in high school, if I wanted to be a "farm girl" and raise animals, I would have said, "Ew! No way!" If you would have asked me 10 years ago if I wanted to shovel poop and deal with "farm smell", I would have said, "My husband will do it...".


Now, what has changed? Obviously my heart. But what has changed my heart? Why have I went from being just a stay-at-home mom, to a "farmer"? Well, I stopped trying to forage my own way. I started trying to listen to God speak in my everyday life. What has He said to change my heart?

Simplify.

Having to go see the latest movies in the theater, doesn't interest me much. Same as 'going out to eat'. Sure I like to have a night off every now and then. But I like to have nights when I can just sit on the swing in the back yard, watch the moon rise, and sit in silence holding hands with my hubby. Where we can sit and play board games with the boys, and fight to try to win, because they are little "smarty-pant's". When a good day's work actually makes you relaxed and ready for a good night's sleep.

I love the slower pace of our life. I love being able to serve things I have made from scratch for supper. I love the smell of fresh baked bread. I love simmering a whole chicken (that we raised, naturally), and then making so many things from it to feed our family a super healthy dinner. I love going into our barn and gathering eggs. I love the warm ones. I love the soft feeling of a chicken's feathers (they are WAY softer than you think!). I love the thickness of our sheep's wool. I love pushing my fingers down to their skin and hardly seeing much of my hand! I love the new goats and their friendliness. I love how they NEED you. I love to garden, and yes, I love to pull new veggies out, that first harvest...


Is this the life I would have chosen? No way. But, I am so glad that this is the life God has blessed us with, because it is WAY BETTER. I can't wait to see what He has in store for us this Spring... new turkeys, meat chickens, more egg layers, baby animals... Poop, mud, animal sounds, laundry, warm tomatoes from the vine, country wind, so quiet you can hear bees buzzing in the flowers, boys laughing, happy family. I wouldn't have it any other way.

7 comments:

The Farmer said...

Great post! I love your blog.

Megan said...

Yep a great life!!! Full of people and activitiesthat matter!!

Jennifer said...

I too think it is funny how my life has turned out. I never would have thought that I would be living the way I live. It is interesting to say the least.

Hattie said...

Hi I just found your blog! Wow what a sweet post! I have 4 boys also and a farm sounds like a great place to raise little boys.

SJonesG said...

just found your blog by accident. It's so sweet! Isnt it funny how life turns out.. looks like you're right where God wants you!!

Unknown said...

God has really placed you in the right place. I can relate, being an Iowa Farm girl, still living a mile from where I grew up! We complain about our crazy lifestyle, it's really very laid back and enjoyable. But, it does help when we take the time to appreciate all of what God has given us! I just love your blog! Always love to visit.

kanishk said...

Full of people and activities that matter!!

Work from home India