February 20, 2010

Week in Review...

As this week comes to a close, I have to give a little review on what is happening! It of course is all in preparation for Spring, which I am totally STOKED about (yes, I said stoked... ). The last few days, the sun has actually come out, and gave us a little taste of Spring... And a little of the snow has melted off, today though, around here they are calling for more. But tomorrow is supposed to get up to 36 degrees! Woot! :) Here is what the barnyard looks like, during our "melt-off":


I know. Nothing too impressive, BUT, I am just thankful for the sunshine! I see it trying to peak again today...

For the last few days, hubby and Deklyn have been hard at work putting together our hive! We are going to order bees (Monday???), and will PROBABLY be getting another hive... I cannot wait for the honey!


And our baby broiler chicks were a week old on Wednesday. They are getting big, and eating a lot! They also make a MESS with their food. See that on the floor of their brooder? That isn't bedding, that is food, and it about 1/2 in. thick, more in other spots... They are QUICKLY growing out of their "home", so hubby is going to build them a bigger one in the barn today. I guess in 6-7 weeks they are full grown, so they only have about 5 weeks left before they are larger than a normal chicken! That is amazing. In this pic, they are all SO afraid of me, even though I bring them food and water (about 3-4 times a day!). They are all trying to escape!

And last but not least, I cannot hold myself off any longer. I am going to be planting my seeds this weekend. And as much as the hubby hates it, I am setting up shop in our living room. It is the warmest spot in the house, and with the most light. He will thank me in the fall! ;) Love you, honey! I will try to post some pics on Monday!

I can almost feel Spring! Can't you!?

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Your hives look great! My husband is building a top bar hive for us right now and we too need to order our bees. What kind are you getting? We were also hoping to do broilers in the fall. Are you going to process them yourself?

Sarah said...

Jennifer- We are getting Carnolian bees, because my uncle who has raised bees for over 30 years said this is the most gentle.

And we ARE going to do the broilers ourselves. I SHOULD say, my hubby does them, I stay in the house... And wait to throw them in the freezer...