March 8, 2010

Today on the Farm...

So, weatherman says it is supposed to be in the 50's all week! I will believe it when I see it but that sure would be awesome! I don't mind the mud either... Mud means Spring is coming! Right now, dispite my protests, I have a little trouble making roaming my house with muddy boots on. I mean, what else would you expect from the 8- Muddy Boots blog??? Well, we certainly DO have lots of mud...

Today, this is what is happening IN the house. I am going to be try to incubate some eggs, AGAIN. Remember the first time, I actually hatched my baby Mille Fleur. The second time, TROUBLE happened. Third time, either the eggs weren't fertilized or they sat out in the cold coop for too long (which is entirely possible). Well, today I am praying this will be the time when they hatch! If these hatch, they will be out at the end of March and be laying eggs September or October. I know, don't count your chickens before they hatch, right? :)


Every time I venture out to the barn, I am greeted by this gang here:


They greet me with their loud quaking. Since we let them out of their brooder last Spring, they were on the pond, living the good life, with NO need for us. They found all of their own food, and wanted none of our offerings of veggie scraps or corn. But, in the winter, our pond obviously freezes over in Indiana, and they started coming up to the barn. Then they discovered the wonders of CORN. They LOVE it. I have tried to give them veggie scraps and they just aren't into it. But they love themselves some corn!

They BEG for it. I love it.

Speaking of my FIRST hatching in the incubator, here are my baby millies, 3 months old now. I am still keeping them caged up for now, until it gets warmer, and they can wonder in the barn yard and not intrude on any other chicken's "turf"...

See the females to the right? They look at you like that, like they are listening, all inquisitive... Those feathery little cheek just kill me... I just wanna squeeze 'em... :)

Next Monday, is my planting day! Remember I have been ITCHIN' to start planting my seeds inside? I am going to be planting some tomatoes, some flowers and watermelon. Ohh! I can hardly wait! So you'll have to check back... I always LOVE when that first little sprout shows its green-self through the dirt...

More recipes, coming soon! And don't forget "From Scratch..." on Thursday. I will be working on SOMETHING today... I'll have to choose from the prospects, there are so many I want to try! How are you doing, baking from scratch?

Well, more from the farm, later! I am going to try to upload a video of the "action" on our farm! I haven't ever done it before, and I am SURE it's not as difficult as I fear. I just have to do it!

See you all soon! :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

OH, my, those milies are cute!

We have mud here, too! I'm so thankful because that means we've had lots of moisture - and out west, we get precious little. Every drop is a blessing. But, I confess it is easier to tolerate now that we have a patio around the house! At least it's a bit of a barrier to what comes inside!

Bláithín said...

Oooooh, I miss my little Mille Fleurs! I always loved those feathery feet and fat little cheeks. SOME DAY I will get more...

Anonymous said...

I could just squeeze those fluffy cheeks, too! And they look like they are just amazed at what you're saying! You ought to check into HotKaps (see marthastewart.com and type in HotKaps.). They'll give you a 2 to 4 week headstart on your growing season.

I loved your post! My boys were helping Nanny feed the cows this winter. They quickly learned that muddy boots are better than muddy shoes!