February 18, 2010

From Scratch...

I am starting a new "segment" called "From Scratch...". During this time, I am going to share what I made from scratch that week. I will post recipes or links to recipes, pictures (when I remember to take them!), and I will list things that I made from scratch that week.

Starting NEXT THURSDAY, I want you all to join me! That's right! I want this to be an encouragement to all of you who are already doing a little of this, or to some who aren't doing any thing, but would like to! Or, if you just want to take a peak for a while and see what other people are making successfully from scratch, you are welcome to look! Like I said, I just want this to be an encouragement to bake and cook more from scratch.

Starting your meals or food from scratch is healthier (not all of the crazy additives and preservatives!), it can be cheaper, and it may not be as "convenient" at first, but by-golly, I think it's pretty fun!

I want to encourage all of you to have "Baking Days". This can be once a week, every couple days or every couple weeks. Whatever works for you and your family. Baking days can include making food from scratch, making SEVERAL things, possibly freezing some of those items for days down the road, when you can pull them out and have quick, easy, HEALTHY food. Having a baking day will help you not to "burn out" in the kitchen. Work for a few hours in the kitchen, once a week (or whenever you choose), then those time consuming food items can then be done for the week!

Last week, I made my homemade tortillas on Tuesday. I also made bread that day. I spent a few hours in the kitchen, and I had bread for the next several days, AND tortillas for our tacos on Friday and a new breakfast burritos that I got inspiration from Megan to make!

Today, I came home from the grocery store and made bread, and granola bars. Bread for the next few days and granola bars for snacks in days to come! I usually have 1 or 2 baking days per week, if time allows. We are a family of 6, and I do not want to be stuck in the kitchen all day OR everyday!

So, just like that, I will be sharing with you what I made that week, and YOU can share with us what YOU made! This is going to be meals also! If you made a meal from scratch or even a part of the meal from scratch, please share! Need some ideas to start off with? Here are some of my favorites...

You can link up to your blog OR you can just leave a comment in the comment section!!! Be sure to check out the comments! If you link up to your blog, feel free to use the button above (From Scratch...) or at least leave a link back to 8-Muddy Boots!

Are you excited? I am! See you all next week!!!

1 comment:

Stacie said...

I love this idea! I have never made tortillas yet from scratch but I would love to give it a whirl. I made blue berry muffins from scratch yesterday and Bean and Ham soup. I love making things from scratch.